What kind of Uber driver requirements are there?
This is a common question among those considering this type of work.
What comes as a surprise?
This rideshare titan is quite flexible and can work with almost everyone as long as you meet their basic requirements.
It is even more surprising to many drivers that the company doesn’t have very stringent requirements.
Let’s look at what these requirements are all about, and find out how to be an Uber driver.
General UBER Driver Requirements
The requirements for driving for Uber are quite simple.
They are divided into special categories according to the package you want to work with.
There are different Uber car requirements for UberBLACK, UberX/XL, UberPOOL, and others.
These ride types may have little differences between them but before we go into that, here are the general requirements .
Document Requirements for UBER
To work as a driver, you must have the following documentation.
- An in-state driving license.
- Social security number (SSN) for a background check.
- In state car insurance in your name.
Background Check Requirements to Be an UBER Driver
- A good driving record.
- Pass a background check.
The Background check is conducted by a company known as Hirease.
The check takes only a few days and is aimed at ensuring that in the 7 past years you have had none of the following:
- History of Drug or DUI related offenses.
- Fatal accidents reported.
- Reckless driving offenses.
- History of crime and/or related activities.
UBER Insurance Requirements
They don’t necessarily require any kind of special insurance in order for one to work with them as a driver.
You may notice that most regular insurance policies do not cover rideshare drivers.
To be fully covered, it is important to ensure you get quotes for the rideshare insurance.
This is because the rideshare insurance may mean a little stack up on costs.
What about while working?
The company provides drivers with a commercial insurance cover of up to an average of $1 million liability in the event of an accident with a passenger on board.
This added coverage doesn’t take care of any damage incurred when the car is not in drive mode, i.e. when waiting for a passenger or looking for one.
Special UBER Requirements
As earlier mentioned, there are special Uber qualifications for different ride types.
Let’s check them out.
UberSELECT is one of their premium ride options.
It is usually presented as a mid-range service that falls between UberX and UberBLACK.
These cars are usually sedans and represent the platform’s third tier.
The requirements for UberSELECT are:
- Premium sedan cars.
- A post-2008 model sedan.
- Vegan leather or leather interior.
- 4-passenger luxury sedan license (a chauffeur’s license is not necessary at this point).
This is another premium service that steps up the experience in terms of exclusivity and luxury.
It gives the customer access to professional private-ride services, a chauffeur experience at a friendly cost.
The requirements include:
- Be self-employed in the UberBLACK platform or drive as an employee of an UberBLACK affiliate partner.
- Have all the relevant city and state limo licensing documentation.
- Possess all the necessary commercial insurance in additional to your personal insurance.
- Have a high-end black SUV or luxury sedan manufactured 2008 and above.
Uber SUV Requirements
UberSUV services are one of the latest additions to their fast-growing service range.
It is another version of their high-end black car services.
This is a sensible option for those that want to have a larger car but still maintain the prestige of a limousine.
Here are the Uber requirements under this special category:
- Commercial registration.
- Have commercial insurance.
- Posses airport permits.
- Have a high-end SUV that is able to carry at least 6 people.
Uber LUX Requirements
UberLUX came into the market back in 2014.
This service offers incredible rides but at a pricier rate than all the other packages.
To be a driver under this banner, you need to meet the following requirements:
- You should have a commercial insurance.
- Have a TCP permit.
- You should have an airport permit.
- Have a four-door vehicle, preferably an SUV or a Luxury sedan.
UBER Qualifications Q&A
What if I don’t meet all of the Uber driver requirements?
There are various reasons as to why you may not meet the requirements to drive for Uber.
We will look at some of the reasons and what you can do in order to accepted.
- You are not 21 years old. Uber age requirements stipulate that the applicant must be at least 21 years of age, so there is no way out of this one.
- You did not pass the background check. It is possible to see the reason as to why you were not accepted. Unfortunately, many of the offenses may take a minimum of 7 years to come off your records. This implies that you may have to wait until they are taken off.
- You do not have Social Security Number (SSN). Chances are that if you do not have your Social Security Number, you are an immigrant. The best thing to do here is to talk to your immigration attorney. They may let you sign up with the SSN even if you aren’t allowed to work within the US. It is, however, important to see how this plays out on your Visa.
Can I register and use someone else’s car?
They allow you to drive anyone else’s car provided it meets all the requirements.
However, you should ensure that your name is listed on vehicle’s insurance card.
For the most part, there are affiliate partnerships that help drivers that do not have their own vehicles have access to vehicles they can drive.
Can I drive with someone in the car?
It is not appropriate to have any other person in the car when picking up a passenger.
The only time that is allowed is if the two passengers are together and one has to be picked up en route.